Consumer & Personal Injury Litigators

What to do with a financed vehicle

On Behalf of | Apr 13, 2018 | Consumer Protection

As a general rule, a car sale in Pennsylvania is final once a buyer signs the loan and purchase paperwork. However, it is possible, though rare, that a dealer will decide to take back the car in a process known as “unwinding the deal.” In other cases, a dealer will have a specific policy that allows a buyer to return a vehicle under certain conditions.

In the event that a dealer does except a return, it may come with a fee. An exception could be made if a vehicle is defective. Lemon laws protect consumers when they buy vehicles that have mechanical or other dangerous problems that cannot be fixed. Consumers are advised that bringing false claims against a dealer or other seller could come with negative consequences.

If an unwanted car is in good working order, the owner can always sell or trade it in. Sales can be conducted at a dealership or with a private seller. While private sales generally net more money, it may not be possible to get as much as the original sale. This is because a vehicle is a depreciating asset, and it can lose up to 20 percent of its value in the first year of ownership.

If a car buyer feels that he or she was the victim of fraud by a dealer or private seller, it could be possible to file a lawsuit. An attorney may review the case and provide advice as to how a client should attempt to resolve the matter. If a fraud claim is successful, the victim could be entitled to compensation equal to the purchase price of the vehicle and any money spent trying to fix it.

Blog Button Articles


FindLaw Network
Random Image

PublicNacaBar AssoConsumer

Witnesses Needed

Searching for persons with information or complaints about a number of banks, dealerships, repossession agents and debt collectors
Click Here For More Information

Email The Firm

Office Location

1500 Walnut Street
Suite 900
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Philadelphia Law Office Map
Toll Free: 800-254-3497

Phone: 267-838-9654

Fax: 267-299-8079